In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
- Choosing a new puppy This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy
- Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- Behavior problems Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sharon Wilson, best-selling authors and recognized experts on animal training and behavior, this site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about feline house soiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check this one out!
- National Animal Poison Control Center This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
- Veterinary Schools in the US This is a great link to all of the websites of veterinary schools in the United States.
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- Rainbow Bridge Anyone who has ever lost a pet should visit this wonderful site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members
- West Nile Virus This site is maintained by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, and has the latest information on the spread of West Nile Virus in the US, as well as information on disease transmission, symptoms, etc.
- American Veterinary Medical Association This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health.
- Veterinary Partner is here to support your veterinarian and you in the care of your companion animals by providing reliable, up-to-date animal health information from the veterinarians and experts of the Veterinary Information Network (VIN), the world's first and largest online veterinary database and community.
Favorite Client Links
This is a fact sheet about carbon monoxide poisoning. Although it is written for humans, the same principles apply to our pets. Keep in mind that chronic exposure can potentially cause seizures and other neurological signs. Please have your furnaces and other appliances checked at least yearly. This will help protect you and your family, the two legged and four legged members.
Canned Food Comparisons
This is a page listing canned food protein, fat, and carbohydrate contents of some over the counter foods. It is helpful in comparing foods in the patients we can't get to eat the prescription diets that would be ideal for them.
Sedgwick County Zoo
This is the website for the Sedgwick County Zoo. If you haven't been there recently, be sure to visit as soon as you get the chance. It has come a long way since the beginning.
Kansas Humane Society
The Kansas Humane Society is the largest animal shelter in Wichita, Kansas. Please visit the website for information on adopting pets, classes, and volunteer information.
Tanganika Wildlife Park
Tanganika Wildlife Park is located on the west edge of Wichita in Goddard, Kansas. make sure to visit the tigers, penguins, and gibbons.
The American Kennel Club
The American Kennel Club is an association for registration and promotion of purebred dogs.
This is a site explaining Penn Hip evaluation.